Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Another Not So Wordless Wednesday - Haiti


Picture from REUTERS
Earthquake, 7.0 on Rector Scale
January 12, 2010


Ever since discovering the significance of my Uncle Toussaint L'Ouverture's name, I've always felt this connection to Haiti. Toussaint L'Ouverture, was the great Haitian revolutionary leader who lead the successful slave revolt, which lead to Haiti becoming a nation. I've often wondered how grandmomma Jones knew about Toussaint L'Ouverture. I've always had this romanticized view that grandmom's line of the family came through Haiti.

As Iyanla Vanzant stated on today's Michael Baisden Show, Haiti has always been treated like the bastard child. I know we are in a recession but I would like to challenge my readers to help in anyway they can, whether prayer, monetarily, or traveling to Haiti to help the victims of this horrific disaster.

For those interested in helping monetarily, you can make contributions through http://www.yele.org/, Yelehaiti, Wyclef Jean's organization. You can also get information by following Wyclef on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted on Conversations with My Ancestors are moderated and will be approved only if they are on-topic and not abusive.