Monday, September 8, 2014

Madness Monday - Getting Ready for a Research Trip

This week, I'll be going on my second research trip, ever. And it looks like I will not be any better prepared for this research trip than I was for the first one I did a few years ago. But the ancestors are telling me that I need to go and who am I to argue with the ancestors.

So, before going, I'm trying to make a quick check list of things I want to do and hope to get accomplished. One thing that makes this trip different from my first research trip is my trusty side kick, mom, won't be going with me. Instead, my second cousin, Clifford, will be going with me on this trip. While I'm glad to have the company, part of me wants to go it alone since I feel like we will have different goals, which will ultimately hinder both of us.

So for me here are some things I hope to do during my one day trip to ancestral home county.


  1. Pick up a clearer copy of the Probate Proceedings for my Great Grandfather's, Peter T. Everett, estate. A few years ago, I had written the Register of Deeds for Martin County, NC to see if there was a will for my Great Grandfather, and there wasn't one. This past week while putzing around on Family Search, I came across the probate proceedings for my Great Grandfather, who died without a will. However, I wasn't able to print out a clear copy, so I wrote down all the details, in order that I can pick up a clearer copy while there.
  2. I would also like to try to locate my Great Grandfather's grave. I have a copy of his death certificate which seems to indicate he may be interred in Everetts Cemetery in Everetts, NC. This is one area where my cousin should be able to collaborate with each other. Cousin Clifford wants  to see his Uncle Buddy's grave. His uncle / my cousin appears to be be buried in the same cemetery as great granddad. After all these years, I still haven't figured out who operates this cemetery. I would like to write ahead of time to find out the exact location of the graves.
I'm sure I'll be adding to this list between now and Friday.

Checklist of things I know I will need to take with me.

  1. Camera
  2. Portable Scanner
  3. Notebook
  4. Pens and Pencils
  5. Kindle and / or Laptop
  6. Water and Snacks
The other thing I need to do is get prepared for the conversation that I'm sure will come up with Clifford about me converting to a vegetarian / vegan diet. Cousin Clifford is a doctor and I've already noticed that he and I don't always see eye to eye on some things.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted on Conversations with My Ancestors are moderated and will be approved only if they are on-topic and not abusive.