Randy Seavers’, Genea-Musings, challenge for this week’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun is as follows:
1. What day of the week were you born? Tell us how you found out.
2. What has happened in recorded history on your birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3. What famous people have been born on your birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
4. Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
2 January was a Monday. I determined this using the ProGenealogist Tool supplied by Randy.
Historic events that happened on the day I was born include
- Fidel Castro demanded that the staff at the US Embassy in Havana be reduced from 87 to 11 and that this be carried out before Wednesday. President Eisenhower ended diplomatic relations with Cub the next day.
- In the Rose Bowl, the University of Washington Huskies (6) upset the University of Minnesota Gophers (1). The score was 17-7.
- 1788 – Georgia becomes the 4th state to ratify the constitution.
- 1800 - Free black community of Phila petitions Congress to abolish slave.
- 1947 - Mahatma Gandhi begins march for peace in East-Bengali.
- 2004 - Stardust successfully flies past Comet Wild 2, collecting samples that it will return to Earth two years later.
Some famous people who were born on January 2nd
- 2 January 1920, Isaac Asimov (science fiction writer)
- 2 January 1968, Cuba Gooding, Jr. (actor – “Show me the Money”)
- 2 January 1969 Christy Turlington (model)
- 2 January 1983 Kate Bosworth (actress)