Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Activist in My Family

In my last post, I mentioned that I had met a new cousin. Well through Cousin Cornell, I learned about one of my more noted Everett Cousins, Sarah Everett Small, who was very active in the Civil Rights Movement in Williamston, Martin County, North Carolina. Cousin Sarah was the granddaughter of my Great Grand Uncle Frank Everett.

Cousin Sarah's story interested me so much that I wondered if I could unearth any information beyond that told to me by Cousin Cornell. I came across this YouTube video on the Civil Rights Movement in Williamston. Cousin Sarah is talked about at about the 17:00 mark and is also mentioned later in the video.



As mentioned in the video and also conveyed to me by Cousin Cornell, Sarah and her family would eventually move to and settle in the Boston, MA area. Cousin Sarah would go on to operate a halfway house that now bears her name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted on Conversations with My Ancestors are moderated and will be approved only if they are on-topic and not abusive.